Vastu shastra is a traditional Indian system of architecture originated from India. The word literally translates into as ‘Science of archietcure’. Typically vastu shastra describes design, layouts, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement, and spatial geometry of all living areas. While it’s a debatable topic to conclude if its related to wealth/prosperity to be attained, or a health to be achieved by following scientific way of positioning living areas of your home, we would like to focus on some of positioning and placements of each areas of your home for building a vastu compliant home.
The below image would help you in understanding acceptable placement of different areas of residence as per vastu guidelines.
Vastu Corners summarized
While the above picture summarizes the positioning of each residential areas, lets take a look at each guidelines for each area in detail.
1. Place platform of the kitchen in East and South-East corner.
2. Provide “L” shaped platform, next to the kitchen’s main platform, near South wall and use this platform for keeping and operating microwave ovens, mixer/grinder etc.
3. Place cooking gas burner or stove in South-East corner of kitchen, make sure that it is a few inches away from wall.
4. Use North-East to set up wash-basin or sink in the kitchen.
5. Keep light weight things in East or North in kitchen.
6. Keep grain boxes, pulses, various spices, salt etc. in South or West direction.
7. Build mezzanine floor in West or South of kitchen
8.Have two windows/gaps in East and West walls of kitchen and place an exhaust fan in any of the windows/gaps.
9. Place a refrigerator in South-East, South, West or North direction of Kitchen. If the refrigerator is in South-West direction it is suggested to place it one foot away from wall.
10. Give sacred offering to fire of the first thing you prepare in kitchen to make sure peace and prosperity.
11. Clean kitchen, kitchen platform and utensils daily at night before sleeping.
A bedroom is a place where one retire after a tiring day’s job to relax and and have a sound sleep to gain energy for the next day. Vastu for Bedroom has been given a very high priority and significance. Square or rectangular or the acceptable shapes as per vastu principles. The accepbtable lenght dimension of bedroom to be in 1:2 ratio (example: if lenght is 20ft, breadth has to be 10ft)
1. Master Bedroom should always be in South-West corner of the home and head of the family must occupy this bedroom.
2. Master bedroom should always be bigger than other rooms of the house
3. If the house is multi-story then master bedroom in the South-West corner of the top floor is best.
4. Sleeping with legs towards the east gives name, reputation & richness.
5. Sleeping with legs towards the west gives mental harmony & augments fondness for spiritualism.
6. Sleeping with legs towards the north, increases prosperity and opulence.
7. sleeping with legs towards South is not accepted since south direction is Place of Yama (Lord of Death).
8. West or North side is suitable for attached bathroom, changing room or bath tub etc.
9. The bathroom should not face the bed directly and the door of the bathroom must always be kept closed.
10. East, North or West walls are best for entrance door of master bedroom. Avoid entrance on South wall.
11. Make sure the door of the bedroom is of single shutter and always opens completely without any noise.
12. Mezzanine floor in South or West wall is tolerable in the bedroom.
13. East or North walls are good for windows in the bedroom.
14. Best place to keep wardrobes or shelves is the South-West corner of the master bedroom.
15. Never place safe in bedroom. If unavoidable then place the safe away from the North-East, North-West, South-East and South-West corners and East and West directions.
16. If the safe is placed towards the South wall, ensure doors open towards the North direction.
17. Dressing table with/without mirror can be placed in the North or East wall.
18. If a mirror is in the bedroom with/without dressing table then make sure than none of the body part is visible in the mirror while sleeping on the bed, else the same body part will develop medical problems.
19. One could Hang a beautiful and pleasant painting or any portrait on the wall so that it is easily seen as someone enters the bedroom.
20. Bedroom in the West side of the home is best for children.
21. Lay beds in the children’s bedroom in the South-West so that a child’s head is in East or South direction.
22. As per bedroom vastu, its advised unmarried children or guests can use a bedroom in the East.
23. Avoid any bedroom in the center of the home.
24. Use light rose, gray, blue, chocolate, green etc as wall colors for bedroom.
25. Stay away from use of marble stones (white and yellow colored) in the newly married couple’s bedroom.
Pooja Room vastu
Pooja room or prayer room is considered to be one the most auspicious and sacred rooms of a home. While planning a house, due to the space constraints, many people tend to ignore a separate pooja room but we must not sideline the need to make a place for worshiping or meditation. Thus by creating a room for worshipping, we are creating a room to get charged with positive thoughts every morning and that energy will energize our environment, mind & body. Our work efficiency would increase and so the progress, prosperity and peace.
1. As per pooja room vastu, north-east corner of home is best site for pooja place.
2. East and west are second best locations.
3. Position the pooja room in ground floor always.
4. In bigger plots or factories construct pooja room at the center as this is could be very auspicious.
5. If the roof of pooja room is pyramid shape then it’s very auspicious.
6. Keep the idols in east and/or west of the prayer room.
7. Place the idols a few inches (at least an inch) away from wall.
8. Make sure that all the idols are always in perfect condition
9. Use white, light yellow or light blue colors for walls of pooja room.
10. If the prayer area is in kitchen then keep it in the north-east corner of kitchen, one should face east while praying.
11. Have two shutter door of high quality wood for prayer room.
12. Pooja Room can have doors and windows in north or east walls.
13. You can place a lamp stand in the pooja room in south-east or eastern side.
14. Keep showcases and almirahs towards west or south walls.
15. You can place an Agnikund in the prayer room in south-east corner if the space permits.
Vastu for Living Room
Living rooms are an important part of each home, it doesn’t matter whether a house is built in a modern or contemporary forms, every house would have a living room. Living room is an area where we spend most of the time in the residence. Living room is also an area where usually outsiders/non residents would spend time in too. Having said that, its important to consider vastu guidelines for living room.
1. Give first priority to construct a living room in East direction or in North direction.
2. Comparatively Living room is more beneficial in north direction.
3. The North-West living room is also considered to be good, since presiding element of North-West part of a home is Air/Vayu
4. North-East corner of the house is also considered asupicious since god exists in this corner, however it’s better suited for a pooja or prayer room.
5. South-West located living room would make guests feel at home and they would stay at your home for long time.
6. Living area floor should slope towards East or North.
7. Have the door of the living room in East or North as they are very auspicious and brings wealth, health and overall progress.
8. West entrance for living area is good for scholars and researchers.
9. Always consider the door of the living room in to be facing East or North as they are considered very auspicious and brings wealth, health and overall progress.
10. Living area’s North-West entrance supports development in several aspects of life.
11. Avoid South entrance for living are as it is cosndiered inauspicious. One could consider shifting the entrance to West for better results.
12. In the living area keep internal furniture, articles and heavy things in West or South side. If not possible, use a base of 1-3 inches height to keep furniture in North or North-East sides
13. The head of the family, in living area, should ideally sit facing East or North.
14. Place the TV in South-East corner and Instead of North-East corner.
15. Place air cooler and air conditioner in West, North-West or East and not in South-East.
16. Avoid red or black for living area wall colors.
17. One could Use white, light yellow, blue or green colors for living room walls.
18. Place square or rectangular furniture in living area and avoid circular furniture as much as possible, oval or any other shape of furniture are generally forbidden for residence.
19. Retain North-East corner of living area clean and empty if possible. It would also be good to keep some healthy plants in that corner.
20. Hang a chandelier in South or West of living area; do not hang anything in center.
Vastu for Main Door
Vastu Shastra places great importance for Main Door of a home, as this is the place from where energies, either positive or negative, enter and exit a house. Having said this, it is obvious that if more negative energies are entering a home from main door then people in the house would not prosper.
If you want to locate entrance of a home in South wall, then locating the door towards South-East would be auspicious. Also avoid having the door at center or South-West portion of wall. For all houses having main door in South direction, it’s must to have another door in North direction also.
If you are locating the entrance door in North wall of a home, then make sure the door is in North-East section of North wall. Also keep the door towards center of wall (not exactly at center) and locate a window near North-East corner.
One could locate the door in the east wall. It is suggested keeping it North-East side.
One could locate the door in the east wall. It is suggested keeping it North-East side..
Sump Tank Vastu
- Locate the tank towards North East of the house.
- The tank can be towards North and East
- Tank can also be located at 5th pada in West
- If there’s no option than you can also locate the tank in 4th pada in South
- Always do pooja before digging the earth
- Always make sure to get advice from an expert vastu consultant
- Avoid dirty tanks
- No leakage or seepage
- Never start digging on any Tuesday
- Never close incorrectly located tank by yourself
Water Tank Vastu
- Best located in South-West or West
- Can be located in South too
- NW is the last option for overhead water tank placement (the tank should be small & 2-3 feet away from NW corner)
- Never locate it in NE as that makes NE heavy
- Don’t locate in SE; results in loss of wealth and accidents
- Never locate at the center of house
- Keep SW and South tank on a platform that’s 1-2 feet higher than the roof.
- For a tank in West there’s no need for a platform; you can place the tank at roof level.
- Blue or black colored plastic tanks can be used (avoid plastic tanks)
- Keep the tanks completely covered
- Clean the tanks regularly
Car Parking Vastu
- Locate the garage in North West
- Park the car facing North or East
- Make sure there’s plenty of space to walk around in the garage after parking the vehicle
- Garage’s floor should slope towards East or North
- Garage’s roof should slope from South to North or from West to East
- Garage’s entrance is best located in North or East
- The height of garage entrance should be less than main gate of the house
- Garage wall colors can be white, cream, yellow or something light
- Never park the car facing West or South; there’s a change of fire hazard
- No garage in NE (however, parking in NE basement is ok)
- Garage in SW leads to very less usage of vehicle and more repairs
- Garage walls shouldn’t touch the compound wall.
- Never locate the garage in North-East
- No inflammable items in garage
Thanks for reading the whole article. We have tried to highlight basic vastu tips for house construction. For any construction related queries, please call or +91-9535873248 or log on to buildit.co.in